A journey to Ladakh had been on my plans for fairly some time and eventually this yr, this plan took shape. Under is a quick overview and details of my journey; my Ladakh travelogue which I hope may be of help to anyone planning a trip to Ladakh this yr or in close to near future. Itinerary that we adopted for the journey was as talked about under for 10 days.
- By practice from Bandra TT to Jammu tawi – Day 1
- Reached Jammu tawi with 1 night time stay at Jammu – Day 2
- Jammu to Srinagar by street – Day Three
- Small purchasing at Srinagar near Dal lake& night time keep – Day 3
- Depart from Srinagar to Leh Ladakh by street. Sightseeing at Srinagar – Gund – Sonamarg – Baltal – Zozila – Drass Warfare memorial – Kargil – Lamayuru – Fotu La – Phey – Magnetic hill -Leh. – Day 4
- Local Sightseeing in Leh Metropolis of few under locations and arranging permits & getting acclimatized. Visit Shanti Stupa, Leh Palace, Namgyal Monastery – Day 5
- Leh to Nubra valley by way of Khardung la, Diskit Monastery, Hunder (Sand dunes) – Day 6
- Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso and back to Leh by way of Chang La move – Day 7
- Relaxation/Chill out with Purchasing inside Leh metropolis – Day 8
- Flight from Leh back to Mumbai – Day 9
Also Read: How to Plan a Trip to Ladakh – A Full Travel Guide
Arrival at Jammu
After arriving at Jammu by practice, we stayed at a lodge nearby referred to as Le Roi. It was a superb lodge and our keep was snug. If you would like to stay at Jammu, I’ll advocate this lodge.
We went to inquire at the bus stand close to railway station for Srinagar bus. There weren’t any and we have been advised that there were no JKSRTC buses to Srinagar from that exact bus stand. For a bus from Jammu to Srinagar, we might either have to get it from Fundamental Bus stand Jammu; or else go to a place referred to as Raghunath temple someplace close to there.
Buses from railway station only ply to inter metropolis like Katra, Banihal and so on
So we went to the Basic bus stand which was actually crowded. After inquiring , we have been informed that in day, solely shared cabs depart for Srinagar; fare of which would be around Rs. 700 to Rs. 1000 per individual. Luxurious buses all the time depart at night time; making the whole travel to Srinagar an evening journey for which you’ve got to e-book your ticket with the personal bus operators near the Basic bus stand.
Bus from Jammu to Srinagar
So on Day Three, early morning, we took those mini buses that depart from Jammu station to Common bus stand, ticket of which is Rs. 20 per individual. After reaching the bus stand, we inquired for Srinagar taxi and bargained to 750 per individual. It was a Qualis cab. Somebody came to us and stated that we should always go to Banihal Railway station and from there we might get a DMU to Srinagar for around Rs. 50 per individual. Fare for shared taxi from Jammu to Banihal is round 400-500 per individual.
So we might both pay Rs. 750 for a shared cab all the method to Srinagar. Or we might get a shared cab for Rs. 400 – Rs. 500 till Banihal Railway Station and from there board a practice for Srinagar for Rs. 50 per individual.
I wasn’t positive whether or not Banihal practice to Srinagar was operational. Because of all the unrest that takes place here in the valley, trains typically get cancelled. Therefore we determined to go all the approach from Jammu to Srinagar in the shared cab itself. We began from Jammu at round 9 am. The Jammu – Srinagar freeway was beneath development for most of it, all the approach until Srinagar. There was lots of visitors from both aspect for which we had to wait almost 2 hours. Additionally, you will find multiple military convoys on this route which may even trigger delay in the journey.
Arrival at Srinagar
By the time we acquired to Srinagar, the clock was already displaying 6 PM. We stayed at a lodge referred to as “Hotel De apple”. It was not too far from TRC stand; and at about 10 to 15 minutes of strolling distance from Dal gate. The lodge was respectable enough and our stay right here was snug. Each of the motels I had booked prematurely on MMT, because roaming round looking for a lodge upon our arrival with my dad accompanying me would have been a problem which I needed to avoid.
For our stay in Srinagar and the journey to Leh, I had already booked a taxi driver by the identify of Noor Mohammed. Personal taxis in Srinagar are on the costlier aspect. Relying upon the quantity of travelers, the Dal Gate Taxi Union Rates may be starting from anyplace between Rs. 15okay to Rs. 18okay.
Also Learn: Record of Lakes in Ladakh
Anyhow, Noor was not out there on the day of our arrival so he despatched his brother Murtuza to decide us up who charged us round Rs. 13okay to 15okay. For Day Three, we stayed at Srinagar and did some purchasing. On Day 4, Murtuza sent one other one of their brothers, Vidayat Ali, to decide us up from the lodge at round 5 AM. He was driving a Mahindra Xylor and therefore our journey to Leh began with small stops for sightseeing as per our itinerary.
Arrival in Leh
We traveled all day that day and arrived at Leh at around 7 PM. The complete city was crowded with vacationers and I was stunned to see so many people right here. For our keep at Leh too, I had already booked our a lodge prematurely. It was Lodge Nezer View Visitor House which was just about OK, nothing too nice about it. It was around 15 to 20 minutes of a walk from Leh market. Some roads in the Leh have been underneath development and due to the sewage strains it was a horrible in the air throughout.
The proprietor of the lodge knowledgeable us that the next day, 15th June, was going to be Eid and the allow office can be closed; or open for simply half a day. This type of was a hitch in my plans as I needed to go to Nubra valley on 15th. I assumed of changing the plans then to get the permit on 15th in first half however then getting shared cabs finally minute too was going to be an issue.
Additionally Read: Food it’s essential to attempt in Ladakh
Inside Line Permits
So the lodge owner truly arranged the permits for us. We paid Rs. 1400 for two individuals for Three days ( I assume their fee was additionally included). Price range trip to Ladakh now a days is admittedly not that nice an choice. The lodge owner himself arranged a personal taxi for us for Nubra on 16th, Pangong on 17th and then again to Leh. Quantity was paid for this 3 days journey was Rs. 9600 + 9500 + 3000. We really had not many options and agreed on the similar.
So subsequent day on 15th , we roamed around in Leh market and went to see the permit workplace. There have been hardly any individuals there and the workplace too was closed. Individuals there stated that it’ll open by 10 AM however I didn’t hassle since we had already paid Rs. 1400 to the lodge man for the permits. Then we inquired at taxi stand for shared taxis. The drivers stated that to go to any company like K2 travel agency if you would like to travel in Ladakh on sharing basis.
Leh to Khardung La
Personal taxis are all the time prepared to go on sharing foundation since there are more vacationers coming in and less taxis. Another selection is to go to the bus stand for any tempo travelers.
I on the other hand needed to see the greatest view, so we didn’t like the concept of sharing and paid that above talked about large quantity for private taxi.
Then I asked the lodge owner to organize activa for me for leh sightseeing. It value me Rs. 800 till night time, eight pm to be exact. I used it to go to Leh Palace, Shanti stupa & Namgyal Monastery; and little roaming around the market. Then I saw that the permit office was closed with no individuals around at 2 afternoon. Then I understood that most individuals go by way of agent for permits.
So on 16th it was Eid and we left for Khardungla at 9.30 AM reached at round 11.30 at the prime of the peak. I was shocked to see how crowded it there was. There have been individuals, cabs and tempo travelers throughout; so much that even finding a spot to park proved to be a troublesome activity. We waited almost 15 minutes up there.
Examine point before Khardung La
Khardung La to Nubra Valley
Many people and bikers have been even arguing so as to click on pictures in entrance of that massive Khardung La board. I personally just clicked one fast selfie and moved away from there. To be trustworthy I was more excited to see all that snow throughout.
My dad was feeling slightly brief so he was inhaling camphor. It was Ok although, just a little discomfort; no no main or minor health difficulty. The secret is to sit at one place and relaxation till you’re feelign higher.
We waited there for about 15 minutes; and began on our method to Nubra valley. We continued driving all the approach to Diskit Monastery; and reached there at around 1 PM. We had a quick lunch there at one of the resorts and left for Hunder.
The Driver took us to a visitor house by the identify of Habib visitor home at 4 pm. This guest house was good. We freshened up and at around 5.30 – 6.00 PM left for sand dunes; and to see the double hump camel rides. I didn’t take the experience although however they have been asking for Rs. 200 – 300 – 500 relying on how long you have been driving the camel.
Even this space for camel safari was so crowded. So many vacationers with so many youngsters.
Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso Lake by way of Shyok Street
After roaming round for an hour, we left for our lodge. We spent one night time there at the visitor house and his every day fare was inclusive of buffet type dinner and breakfast.
Next day we left for Pangong Lake at 7.15 AM by way of Shyok street. It did not take too lengthy and we arrived at the lake between 12.30 midday to 1 PM. This was once more a crowded place. We took some footage, spent a while by the lake and in one other 30 minutes, began for our means again to Leh metropolis.
At the capturing level at Pangong, there are solely restaurants and less residence stays. Those who want to do night time keep ought to go additional 10 kilometers to Spangmik. If you’d like a good quieter place then further 10 kilometers is Marek which would be excellent; away from the crowd at capturing level.
Even for clicking a photograph with this Yak, they have been asking for money.
If you would like to click a photograph with the so referred to as “Kareena Scooter”, you’ll have to pay Rs. 50 to Rs. 100. If the women needed to put on the Saree for the image, there was a further cost for that also.
Alongside the approach in the direction of Pangong Lake, you can find marmots. Anybody who can be visiting Ladakh, please don’t feed these animals. Their numbers are reducing as a result of of tourists feeding their very own food to them; due to which these animals lose their taste of pure food like grass, leaves and so forth and begin depending on tourist provided meals and ultimately die if no correct meals is obtainable. There are also boards put up & the driver also advises
PS: The Biscuit wasn’t given by me
Pangong Lake to Leh
We never had lunch here at Pangong Lake because the driver stated it might be expensive. So we left for Leh and someplace in between, there was some extent of many mini dhabas and restros, so we had lunch there (Dhabhas are cheaper than restaurants). We crossed the Changla cross and there were few nomadic individuals homes along the means. I brought that Yak butter from them. They requested for Rs. 1000 per kg so I bought a bit of for Rs. 200.
We reached again at our inns in Leh at around 5.30 – 6 PM and rested for the complete evening. Subsequent day, we had saved for some buying. We brought Army T-shirt caps and a pant, some luggage and equipment, so full day was spent in buying only.
Final day 9, we left for Leh airport early morning by 4.15 AM. It was an excellent thing that we informed the lodge house owners to organize for us our airport cab. There was somewhat problem to depart at 4 am because the lodge employees was still sleeping. Eventually their room boy acquired up, and helped us. The cab was ready outdoors the lodge.
The Leh airport opens for passengers at 5. We reached early and sat outdoors the airport. Even at that early hour there have been many people waiting on the market. After which we boarded our flight residence thus marking an finish to our trip to Leh Ladakh.
Shared Taxis in Ladakh
- In case you are a household with youngsters and in addition in case you are on tight schedule, finances trip & sharing not often works, as a result of it becomes troublesome to discover a taxi & sharing individuals in peak season.
- The taxi stand & Leh bus stand is way about 10-15 minutes strolling, it could be problem
- But when you’ve got ample days, you want to inquire & ebook sharing a minimum of 1-2 advance with any businesses in Leh, they’ll put you in tempo travelers
- I’ve also seen massive families reserving their very own personal tempo travelers. For small households, a cab is OK, we had acquired Innova just for 2 of us.
- Our driver was telling us that sharing hardly works because conflict of interest takes place among the passengers; and the driver stops according to his details. He won’t cease for sightseeing wherever or whenever you wished him to.
- For us, we had hired personal, so the driver was in our control. I used to hold telling him to cease many places to click on footage and in addition for natures name. He was cool and this was truly the first thing that I advised him about, that I can be asking him to cease typically during the trip.
- I have never seen personal mini buses plying on these sight seeing routes, majority are these Leh Ladakh taxis & tempo travelers.
Additionally Read: Purchasing in Ladakh – What to Purchase
Accommodation and Lodge Booking
- When it comes to lodge reserving, it is advisable to ebook prematurely via package deal or online portals in case you are with a family. In case you are in a small group of pals of women & boys on bike, then it turns into straightforward to look for motels and research around by your personal after you attain Leh.
- However as of now, expenses & tariffs are elevated over the yr and dwelling bills for lunch & dinner in Leh metropolis is increased. eg tea is 15-20-25. Per day proper meal for 2 individuals will a minimum of be around Rs. 1000 together with water bottles as water refilling points have been closed in some locations.
- Diskit & Hunder, are distant places and motels & guest homes are distant from each other. Similar factor again, e-book prematurely in case you are with household. In case you are in a small group of pals of women & boys on bike, then it turns into straightforward to look for motels and analysis round by your personal. I used to be with my dad, so I wouldn’t have managed so much. Even the drivers even have contacts about lodges in Diskit, Hunder, Pangong lake. I don’t find out about the prices, usually it gained’t be less than 1500 per individual.
Srinagar to Leh
Ok. Primary thing is Srinagar to Leh. Under are a couple of contacts that you would be able to lease a cab with. Individuals going should contact them nicely prematurely. They’ll undoubtedly organize cabs and drivers; however please don’t ditch them. They trust individuals calling & booking them. They’ve Leh registered taxis & they gained’t be around TRC taxi stands in Srinagar. Noor Mohammed – 9419890787 – name him first, you may as well take my identify Jacob. Vidyat Ali– 9622406977. Additionally they take sharing, but you’ve to inform them 2-Three days earlier than, that you are in search of sharing cabs. You’ll get stuffed in the cab & they’ll have minimal halts all the method to Leh for around 2000-4000 approx per individual.
Also Learn: Festivals of Ladakh – A Celebration of Life
For these happening bikes from Jammu to Srinagar to Leh, its advisable not to put Indian Flag if you end up on the roads from Jammu to Srinagar to at the least Baltal. We met some group of bikers from Mumbai who spoke nicely with us and advised us that 1 man was on his bullet had the Indian Flag tied on his bike. As he was crossing Dal lake and initial villages on that street, individuals there stopped him; threw stones at him and on his bike; and despatched him again. He had to return residence because his bike was not in good situation. Even these villagers have been taking a look at us as nicely in suspicion once we have been passing by their houses
Last item is please inform each bikers of Ladakh to experience sluggish and properly, I had witnessed 1 accident of a bullet & Jeep. It was a horrible accident. Bike’s front tyre and guard was totaling gone. It was a rented bike from Leh. That they had to call up the decide up van to carry the bike to Leh for which Rs. 9000 was the charge. Those rental firm house owners informed these individuals to go to any Enfield showroom and get the bike repaired by themselves. This Accident was on the means from Pangong to Leh. There have been smaller accidents as nicely, of automobiles & bikes touching and scratching each other.
- Many individuals depend upon Maps, Maps won’t show you correct timings of roads and passes. There were individuals going in the direction of Pangong by way of Chang La Cross at four -5 in the evening. The in all probability would have not made it to the lake earlier than dusk.
- Night time Driving and driving isn’t advisable in Ladakh.
- In the future Pangong journey and again to Leh is possible. In the future Nubra valley trip until Hunder and back to Leh nevertheless would turn out to be a busy schedule.
- Ladakh journey have to be properly planned with the quantity of individuals prematurely, if group of associates, then sharing of bills becomes low cost and also you as a gaggle can hire 1 personal taxi. There are solo vacationers who guide personal taxi also and they’re the only individual in the cab.
- I assume I solely messed up at the permit half, I might have saved 300-400.
Ladakh Travelogue – Conclusion
I hope the info I offered above in my Ladakh Travelogue was of assist. When you have any questions; or want some other particulars; please be happy to ask in the comments part under; or at our Group Forum; and I might be glad to answer.