So that you modified your Apple ID password, that’s a reasonably good thing to do. However now you have to replace your Apple ID settings on all your different units: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and PC. Don’t fear, it’s often pretty simple.
You may get notifications to Update Apple ID settings on some of your totally different units. Comply with that notification to re-enter your new Apple ID password. And that’s it.
No less than, that must be it. Numerous customers are stricken by notifications telling them to Update Apple ID settings on their iPhone, iPad, Mac, or other units. They maintain popping up no matter how typically you enter the brand new password.
We’ve defined what it’s worthwhile to do under.
- 1 What do I have to do after changing my Apple ID password?
- 2 How do I update Apple ID settings on my gadget?
- 3 Why does my iPhone maintain saying I have to Update Apple ID Settings?
- 3.1 1. Update your Apple ID Settings
- 3.2 2. Drive close Settings and restart your gadget
- 3.3 three. Update iOS on your iPhone
- 3.4 4. Double verify the Apple ID e-mail tackle
- 3.5 5. Examine Apple’s System Providers
- 3.6 6. Signal out of your Apple ID account, then check in again
- 3.7 7. Erase all content material and settings on your iPhone
- 4 About your Apple ID account
What do I have to do after changing my Apple ID password?
You in all probability use your Apple ID account across a number of units. Image from Apple.
After changing your Apple ID password there are more likely to be a heavy handful of units and providers that still attempt to check in with the previous password. This usually means you get bombarded with prompts to re-enter your password.
If your settings aren’t up to date you may miss messages, emails, or app updates because your gadget couldn’t sign up correctly.
To fix it — or to avoid the repeated prompts to re-enter your password — it is advisable update the saved Apple ID password on each of your units for every service and app linked to your Apple ID account.
What providers and apps use my Apple ID?
Your Apple ID account is used with each single Apple service. There’s loads of them! The preferred apps and providers you’re possible to make use of with your Apple ID embrace:
- App Retailer, Books Store, and iTunes Store
- Apple Music and Apple News+
- Apple Retailer providers, comparable to workshops or Genius Bar appointments
- FaceTime and iMessage
- iCloud, together with iCloud Pictures, iCloud Drive, and iCloud Backups.
And those are simply the Apple apps and providers. There are innumerable third-party apps, reminiscent of Day One, that also sync your knowledge with an Apple ID account.
How do I update Apple ID settings on my gadget?
You might have to manually re-enter your Apple ID password once more on every of your units: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, and Apple TV. However you’ll be prompted to take action as you employ them.
In the event you weren’t prompted to re-enter your password and don’t consider it mechanically up to date on your gadget, you’ll be able to comply with the directions under to drive a password immediate to seem.
How do I update Apple ID settings on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod contact?
- Go to the App Retailer and download any free app.
- If that doesn’t work, go to Settings > [Your Name].
- Scroll to the bottom and faucet Signal Out.
- Choose to Hold all the knowledge on your system.
- Return to Settings and sign up with your new Apple ID password.
- Merge the info on your gadget with your iCloud knowledge.
How do I replace Apple ID settings on a Mac?
- Go to the Mac App Retailer and obtain any free app.
- Open iTunes and obtain any of your purchased content or stream Apple Music.
- If that doesn’t work, go to System Preferences > iCloud.
- Click on Signal Out and choose to Maintain a Copy of all the info on your Mac.
- Return to System Preferences > iCloud and sign up with your new Apple ID password.
- Merge the info on your Mac with your iCloud knowledge.
How do I update Apple ID settings on a PC?
- Open iTunes and obtain any of your bought content.
- If in case you have iCloud for Windows, open it and click Signal Out.
- Choose to Hold a Copy of all the info on your PC.
- Return to iCloud for Windows and sign up with your new Apple ID password.
Why does my iPhone maintain saying I have to Update Apple ID Settings?
Many users expertise issues on their iPhone, iPad, or iPod contact after changing their Apple ID password. A purple notification alert seems over the Settings app prompting them to Update Apple ID Settings. But the prompt by no means goes away!
If this has happened to you, we’ve received the steps to repair it slightly below.
1. Update your Apple ID Settings
Your system may notify you to Update Apple ID Settings.
Simply in case you haven’t already tried it, we needed to elucidate how you’d usually update Apple ID Settings on your iPhone.
Open the Settings app and it is best to see a new option to replace your Apple ID settings close to the top with a pink notification alert. Faucet this and enter your new Apple ID password on the subsequent web page.
This ought to trigger the notification bubble to go away and stop your iPhone from bombarding you with prompts to Update Apple ID Settings. If it doesn’t, continue with the steps under.
2. Drive close Settings and restart your gadget
Energy off your system after pressure closing the Settings.
Swipe up from the bottom of the display, or double-click the Residence button to view the App Switcher. Scroll by way of your open apps to seek out Settings, then push it off the highest of the display to pressure close it.
Now maintain the Aspect button and either Volume button on your iPhone. When prompted, slide to power off. If this doesn’t work, comply with the steps on Apple’s web site to pressure restart your gadget.
Wait no less than 30 seconds earlier than powering your iPhone on again.
three. Update iOS on your iPhone
Verify for brand spanking new updates to iOS on your iPhone, and be sure you download and set up any that you simply find. Hook up with Wi-Fi then go to Settings > Common > Software program Update to look for new updates.
Alternatively, join your iPhone to a pc operating the newest version of iTunes and replace iOS by way of iTunes.
4. Double verify the Apple ID e-mail tackle
Watch out for typos like this in your e mail handle.
It’s totally attainable, and more widespread than you’d anticipate, that there’s a typo within the Apple ID e mail tackle on your gadget. When this happens, it is sensible which you can’t update the settings because the small print are incorrect.
Open the Settings app on your iPhone and faucet your identify on the prime of the display. Your Apple ID is proven beneath your identify on the prime of the web page, examine it intently. Ensure it matches the email handle you employ on all your units.
5. Examine Apple’s System Providers
Examine Apple’s System Status on their website.
Apple may be experiencing service points with Apple ID or any of its associated providers. Visit the Apple System Status website to seek out out the current status of Apple’s providers.
Every little thing should have a inexperienced circle subsequent to it, any providers that don’t are experiencing issues. When this happens, you must look forward to Apple to resolve it. Hold making an attempt to update your Apple ID settings or examine Apple’s website to seek out out when the whole lot is working again.
6. Signal out of your Apple ID account, then check in again
You will discover the option to Signal Out of Apple ID in your system Settings.
Go to Settings > [Your Name] > Sign Out. If prompted, enter your Apple ID password to show off Find My iPhone.
Select to make a copy of all your knowledge on your iPhone by turning on the buttons for Calendars, Contacts, Keychain, Reminders, and Safari. Then tap Sign Out in the prime proper.
Look forward to your iPhone to completely signal out of your Apple ID, return to the Settings app after which faucet the button at the prime to check in once more. Make sure you use the right e mail tackle and your new Apple ID password.
When prompted, select to Merge your present knowledge with what’s on iCloud.
7. Erase all content material and settings on your iPhone
Solely select to Erase All Content and Settings when you have a backup.
The ultimate step is to reset your iPhone back to manufacturing unit settings, then recuperate knowledge from a backup. This is usually a time-consuming process, so don’t start it until you might have time to wait for your iPhone to recuperate from a backup.
Also, you should make a brand new backup to iTunes or iCloud first. In any other case you’ll lose knowledge, like photographs or messages, from your iPhone.
After making a backup, go to Settings > Common > Reset. Choose Erase All Content material and Settings. Enter your Apple ID password and system passcode when prompted.
After your system restarts, comply with the setup prompts and select to get well knowledge from a backup.
About your Apple ID account
If in case you have any lingering questions on your Apple ID account, this is where the solutions are. Take a look at the temporary sections under to seek out out concerning the knowledge in your Apple ID account, how one can see what units are signed in, and extra.
What info is stored on my Apple ID?
Despite the additional legwork you’ve received to tug now, it’s a very good thing you modified your Apple ID password. A very good thing. It’s because your Apple ID account can store loads of personal knowledge about you that you simply need to maintain safe.
It’s widespread for an Apple ID account to retailer a consumer’s identify, date of start, e-mail tackle, delivery tackle, telephone number, and cost info.
Not solely that, but if your Apple ID password is compromised someone might achieve access to the Apple providers linked to your account. This consists of iCloud, which holds photographs and paperwork. It may be used to locate your different units!
How can I remove units from using my Apple ID?
See all the units utilizing your Apple ID from your Settings.
Your Apple ID account holds some fairly essential knowledge, you in all probability need to know all the places you’re signed in. Luckily, it’s straightforward to examine that and simply as straightforward to signal out from the units you don’t acknowledge.
If a tool is misplaced or stolen, use Find My iPhone to lock and locate the system.
See what units use your Apple ID from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod contact:
- Go to Settings > [Your Name].
- Scroll right down to see units using your Apple ID.
- Tap every system to see extra details, together with associated cost info.
- Faucet Remove from account to signal out of your Apple ID on that system.
See what units use your Apple ID from a Mac:
- Go to System Preferences > iCloud > Account Particulars.
- Click the Units tab to see units using your Apple ID.
- Select each gadget to see more particulars, including associated cost info.
- Click on Take away from Account to sign out of your Apple ID on that gadget.
See what units use your Apple ID from a PC:
- Go to the Apple ID web site and check in to your account.
- Scroll right down to the Units part to see units using your Apple ID.
- Click on each system to see extra particulars, including related cost info.
- Click on Remove from account to sign out of your Apple ID on that gadget.
Can I modify my Apple ID’s password with out dropping every part?
For those who’re concerned concerning the safety of your Apple ID account you must absolutely change your Apple ID password. You’ll be able to simply do that without dropping any knowledge on your account.
Some reasons to reset your Apple ID password embrace should you obtain notifications about account activity or purchases you don’t acknowledge or if an unknown gadget is signed in to your account.
Be sure to change your password as an alternative of making a new account.
Change your Apple ID password from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Go to Settings > [Your Name] > Password & Security.
- Faucet Change Password.
- Enter your present password followed by the brand new one and faucet Change.
Change your Apple ID password from a Mac or PC:
- Sign up to the Apple ID web site.
- Beneath the Safety part, click on Change password…
- Enter your present password adopted by the brand new one and hit Enter.
Change your Apple ID password from the Settings on your gadget.
Tell us within the feedback in case you’re nonetheless struggling to update your Apple ID settings. We’ll do our best to get you the aid you need!
Dan is a contract writer based mostly in South West England.
He spent two years supervising repairs as a Genius Admin for Apple Retail and makes use of that information to keep our troubleshooting guides updated.
Long earlier than that, Dan turned to Apple products from a musical background. Having owned iPods for years, he purchased a MacBook to study sound recording and production. It was utilizing those expertise that he gained a first-class Bachelor of Science in Sound Know-how.